Monday 1 January 2018



My last exhibition of 2017 was actually some weeks ago; good intentions since then got overtaken by Christmas and horrid weather and a nasty cold. But although EH Shepard's Winnie-the-Pooh illustrations are delightful, the exhibition at the V&A is a damp squib. I was expecting something amazing as it's their first-ever family exhibition and it was designed by the chap who did the poppies at the Tower of London ... but honestly, Christopher Robin's nursery - I've seen better room sets in IKEA. The big, gaping hole in the exhibition, of course, is that the original toys are in New York and haven't been loaned.

One of the highlights of 2017 was the Vermeer exhibition in Dublin but for sheer enjoyment, I'd love to revisit the British Realists in Edinburgh. I was pleased I made the trip to Eastbourne to see Ravilious & Co , even though I didn't get around to writing about it. In London, I think I enjoyed some of the smaller exhibitions best, like Opus Anglicanum at the V&A and these lovely fabrics at the Fashion Museum. Of course, one reason why I look back over the year is to remind myself about lovely things I've forgotten ... no, not forgotten, but things do sink into the sludge of one's middle-aged brain! And as I did something quite thrilling on January 7th, it was good to revisit my literary experience of the year.

Out of all the 30-odd films I've seen this year, far and away the best was a golden oldie. Although I did enjoy The Florida Project, too.

Happy New Year to everybody who visits here. It's always a pleasure to hear from you and I'm touched that you stop by to read.

10 comments:

Mac n' Janet said...

I love Many, my husband not so much, don't know why.

Cornflower said...

Happy new year, Mary!

Gina said...

It is always a pleasure to stop by here (I'm thoroughly enjoying a Gentleman in Moscow thanks to your recommendation). Happy new year!

mary said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying it, Gina.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Mary!

Anonymous said...

Recommend the Soutine show at the Courtauld, small but powerful. Modi at Tate, also had some great stuff amongst a lot of padding. What did you think ?

Lucille said...

Happy New Year! It was thanks to you that we made the trip to Edinburgh to see the Realists. Also quite by surprise while seeking somewhere cool and shady during their heatwave, we saw the original not lent toys in New York, so could perhaps give theV&A exhibition a miss.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...


I have so enjoyed reading your blog, Mary, and you've become my go to person for information on 'what's on' and 'what's worth seeing'. My resolution for 2018 is to visit London more often and visit exhibitions, galleries and museums, and where possible, plays.

Happy New Year!

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Mince pies for 10p? Did my eyes deceive me? I may be good at spotting charity shop bargains but I am total rubbish at food bargains. I just don't seem to go at the right times...

As we were ill over Christmas we still have chocolates left over, mince pies,and unopened panettone; we only cooked the Christmas pudding on New Year's Day. It looks like I'll have at least another week of indulgence - good job I went swimming today!

mary said...

I enjoyed Modigliani, Anon. But I still haven't made it to Soutine - every time I see the poster on the Tube, I think I must go.

I'm glad you made it to Edinburgh, Lucille. ( And enjoyed it - I'd have felt guilty if you hadn't!) I didn't think the V&A exhibition was worth the admission; bit cheeky, when most of the drawings are in the collection, anyway.

Thanks, Veronica - I'm glad you enjoy it. First exhibition of the year today - so you'll have to get cracking! Mind you, it was a filthy day. I think the manager of the local Waitrose is trying to expunge Christmas from his memory because all the weird and wonderful party food was slashed to 10p this evening; I shouldn't have, but I did!