Wednesday 27 September 2017



The main event yesterday was supposed to be King Lear at Shakespeare's Globe - though I'm not sure that I didn't enjoy the Audrey preview rather more.
It's always a bit chancy booking for the Globe, especially in late September - but how lucky, I couldn't have had a more glorious day, and it was gorgeous walking along by the river. I hadn't been to the Globe in years; we used to make a point of going every summer, then I lost interest after a run of gimmicky all-female productions - and we drifted away.
So what's changed? There's clearly more air traffic overhead - and, while I get the fact that in Shakespeare's day audiences could drift in and out as they pleased (though if Generation Snowflake could stop guzzling water from crackly plastic bottles, it might discover that it could hang until the interval for the loo!), nevertheless I could have happily lynched the stupid woman whose phone went off - lengthily - as Lear carried on Cordelia's dead body. How about three hours in the stocks until the evening performance? And chuck her damn phone in the Thames! No, she was patted on the back by sympathetic staff to ease her embarrassment.
Still, it was a nice afternoon, if not a memorable production; bizarrely, at times it seemed to be played for laughs! I've only seen one Lear who truly wrung my heart and that was Ian Holm.

2 comments:

Café Society said...

I have been trying to think if any Lear has ever actually moved me that much. I mean I must have seen at least a dozen - I only live an hour’s drive from Stratford - but I don’t think any one has. The play itself shakes me to the core, but individual performances not so much.

Mary said...

I struggle with it a bit, Cafe Society - there's part of me that sympathises with Goneril/Regan, at least at the start - I mean, who'd want to house their difficult, elderly dad and all his noisy pals! But Ian Holm was one of those once-in-a-lifetime performances.