Monday 11 April 2016



I was coming out of the National Gallery yesterday, stepping over one of the Muses in the floor mosaics ... when I stopped and thought,"What a very 1930s face!"
Now how many dozens, even hundreds of times, have I walked over these mosaics before and barely given them a glance? But sure enough, my Muse turned out to be Greta Garbo. In the National Gallery.
And then I started looking properly. And there was Churchill in a tin hat. And a Mitford sister and Virginia Woolf. And TS Eliot contemplating the Loch Ness monster. And Fred Hoyle as a steeplejack and Augustus John making inappropriate advances to Alice in Wonderland. The mosaicist Boris Anreps clearly had a sense of humour. But what really made me giggle was the corner depicting the Pleasures of Life. Well, I quite agree that a Christmas pudding is a pleasure ... but who would have thought of mud pies! I don't suppose there's another artist in the entire National Gallery collection who depicted mud pies.
And they were a Pleasure ... in fact, I think I enjoyed them more than the exhibition I'd come to see.
The information desk has a free leaflet if you're passing through and would like a key to who's who underfoot.

6 comments:

Sunday Taylor said...

Mary, how interesting. I looked up Boris Anrep, whose name I recognized and yes, I was right, he was associated with the Bloomsbury Group. Oh there is so much to learn! I will be looking at these mosaics next time I am at the National Gallery because of you!

Gina said...

Fascinating... I would never have known but will look out next time I visit!

mary said...

It's fun picking out the names and faces, Sunday, and Gina, and there's some very quirky details. You'll find them on the two landings as you go up the main entrance stairs, and two smaller mosaics by the side doors into the galleries. But do pick up the leaflet which is very informative.

Pam said...

Thank you for apologising for not going to the Pepys thing till the last minute. You need to understand that we're only in London a couple of times a year so you need to plan ahead for us(!). (The next time is the end of June, by the way...)

Lucille said...

Well how interesting. I have looked at them with more than a passing glance but did not pick up on this fascinating detail. I will certainly ask for the leaflet next time.

mary said...

Sorry, Pam -must do better! Lucille, they're worth a proper look - but I did feel as if was rather getting under people's feet by lingering there!