Monday 21 March 2016


London has so many concerts with tickets that are free/very cheap. One evening last week I nipped out for a pint of milk, saw the windows of my local church lit up and went in out of curiosity; the Coldstream Guards were playing and I sat at the back for half an hour before being overcome by the desire for a cup of tea that had sent me out in the first place. As I hadn't set foot in the church since a wedding many years ago, it was a reminder that the inside is 'a splendid place for a boggle,' to quote Ian Nairn. 'The architect on the razzmatazz, out for a day in the suburbs.'
Yesterday lunchtime I met a friend to listen to these very talented young pianists and thought it was such a shame that the audience - only twenty-odd to start with - dwindled to about half a dozen as people ambled off to lunch and the cinema. Although it was rather a long recital; it's on Radio 3 over five days, 4th-8th April.
I only had time to whizz around the Botticelli Reimagined exhibition at the V&A, but an hour was probably enough. This made me smile ...


Botticelli -The Birth of Venus 
with Baci, Esselunga, Barilla, PSP and Easyjet. Tomoko Nagao, 2014
But I realised that I'm a bit bored with irony. It gets tedious after a while.

I warmed up when I got back in time to the Pre-Raphaelites. This Rossetti was purchased by a business man for £735 ...                                         
The Day Dream, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, 1880
             
Over twice the price he paid to Rossetti for this Botticelli. Still quite some profit margin as Rossetti only gave for £20 for it. (I know. I do have a vulgar interest in art market prices. It's my fantasy game of 'Why wasn't my great-great-grandfather buying this painting ...?)

And then I started enjoying myself ...

Flora, Evelyn de Morgan, 1894
There was the most fabulous frock, and if you click on the image you'll see the lovely silk pansies.

Allegorical Portrait of a Lady, Botticelli, c1475-85
There was this rather gorgeous scarf, though I wish she'd taken it off before doing that ...

Portrait of a Lady with the Attributes of St Catherine, c 1475

There was the best 1960s acrylic hairpiece...



And the Guild of Hairdressers Wash and Go award ...

But really I wanted to dismantle this exhibition and start again. I'd have culled all the mediocre 'workshop' paintings. I'd have got rid of all the clever post-modern kitsch. And just had a Botticelli exhibition .. why not? They're exquisite. 

3 comments:

christine_a said...

Great post - I agree with you on the clever post-modern kitsch except for 2 items - the Warhols - that was quite a revelation !

mary said...

A friend who went really liked that early part of the exhibition, so I guess there's something for everyone,Christine. But as this is the largest Botticelli show since 1930, I did think he merited standing alone!

Cosy Books said...

I have a postcard of 'The Day Dream' and every now and then it's posted on my locker door at work. It's lovely!
Have just enjoyed a catch-up with your blog posts and had a laugh out loud moment at the attempted seduction on a train! That fellow wouldn't have stood a chance, Mary! And how wonderful to have a snoop through The Duchess's things. Spider brooches and pig portraits aren't my thing either so I'll be content with two of her signed books.