Saturday 23 August 2014


I've been feeling deprived of Scandi-crime, but Crimes of Passion - the new BBCFour series of whodunnits by Swedish classic crime writer Maria Lang turned out to be rather different from what I was expecting. (Apart from a couple of stories available on Kindle, she doesn't seem to have been translated into English.) Set in the 1950s, it's been described as Mad Men meets The Killing.

Fabulous clothes, cars, colours, a feisty heroine who doesn't want marriage to turn her into a hemmafru, and that beautiful Swedish light and landscape. I've watched the first two episodes and I think I'm hooked.

9 comments:

Cosy Books said...

I know how much you enjoy shows such as this, Mary. Was excited last week to see my library has finally brought in the Borgen series! Of course, everyone at work was perplexed about the content but thanks to you I knew all about it.

mary said...

This one's quite different from the Swedish noir that we've seen lately, Darlene ... more like a sexy Swedish Agatha Christie! I'm sure you'll enjoy Borgen ... all my friends were hooked on it!

I was wondering if you'd read any of her books, Sue? You're much better up on crime than I am.

Lucille said...

I'm still catching up with the 46 episodes of Poirot which I accidentally set recording. Marvelling at the budget and counting all the modes of vintage transport that they manage to squeeze in. Also very thankful that I can whizz past the lengthy ad breaks on ITV3.

mary said...

I'm sure there must be several that I still haven't seen, Lucille - and I'm all for whizzing through the ads. Have they got drearier - you never see any clever ones now. Or do I miss them on fast-forward?

Vintage Reading said...

Have to say I thought the first one was completely daft but I'll give the second one a go if you recommend it.

Missing Sofie Grabol!

Nicola said...

Have to say I thought the first one was completely daft but if you recommend the second one I'll give it a go. I think I'm just missing Sofie Grabol!

Nicola said...

Have to say I thought the first one was completely daft but if you recommend the second one I'll give it a go. I think I'm just missing Sofie Grabol!

Nicola said...

I saw the first episode and have to say I thought it was completely daft - think I'm just missing Sofie Grabol!

mary said...

Think I spoke too soon, Nicola - I've got bored with it, only worth watching for the clothes/Swedish paint finishes! I miss Sofie, too.