Wednesday 9 January 2013

Flower Makers, Samuel Melton Fisher, 1896, National Museums Liverpool
I'm imagining a fabulous garden-party hat, but how their fingers must have hurt by the end of the day.


Study of Tulips, Adolphe Braun, 1858

I bought my first tulips of the year yesterday, succumbing to pink and white candy stripes - like Milly-Molly-Mandy's frocks - after dithering just slightly too long over paperwhite narcissi, until their faintly medicinal fragrance began to make feel faintly sick.
The tulip photograph is one of the still-lifes from this rather feeble exhibition at the National Gallery, of which I can't say much more than that it got me out of the house on Sunday afternoon.

5 comments:

mary said...

What do you think, Sue? Black velvet or straw?

Lucille said...

I'd say straw and I think you were right to go for the tulips. My Paperwhites have just gone over and I know what you mean about the smell.

mary said...

At least tulips go over with style, Lucille!

Cosy Books said...

Oh you do love your flowers. I remember being with you, Simon and Rachel that day in Bloomsbury - near the Persephone shop - and you crossed the road to have a look at flowers on display.

There's a house on our evening walk with two clumps of snowdrops. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. Might have to take a flashlight out with me though!

mary said...

Darlene, hello! You really threw me for a second there and I couldn't think who I'd been with in Bloomsbury! Now I'm going to check out the new blog. See you in a minute!