Saturday 8 September 2012


On one of the last sunny afternoons of summer ...

I sat in a darkened cinema watching the longest perfume advert ever made.

Thrilled to Keira's gnashers masticating her lover.

Anna the Kannibal?

Thought that if I'd been her I'd sooner have seduced my sombre, sexy husband than drippy Vronsky.

Wondered why the ball scene reminded me of Hogwarts' prom night.

Loved the hats, furs and diamonds (from Chanel)

And yawned as I wondered if there'd be any bread in Waitrose by the time it was over.

Luckily, I got out before the ice-cream shop closed. (Pistachio, fig and mandarin.)

It was five* ice-cream

And a two and a half* film.

8 comments:

mary said...

I know, Sue. It was Tolstoy with teeth ...fab costumes, though. And fab ice-cream.

Noelle the dreamer said...

Spotted your post Mary and despite the most awful cold (flu?) had to laugh! Priceless!
Need this, great medicine and will be sure to stir away from Ms. Knightly latest acting attempt!

galant said...

I saw a trail for this on TV. That was sufficient to put me off. Indeed, last time I went to the cinema there was a trail fro the film Hugo (which I eventually saw on DVD and quite liked as I could turn down the sound). The trail was ear-blastingly-loud and lasted for ages, at the end of which I said to husband, next to me, "Well, that's one we can now cross off the list! We've now seen it!"
Margaret P

mary said...

Hope you're feeling better soon, Noelle.

Margaret, her dentist deserves an Oscar!

Darlene said...

Oh no! We are in the midst of a horrendous drought as far as movies go, it's all senseless summer garbage with no end in sight. This was the only title on the horizon with any promise at all and now my hopes are dashed, Mary. On top of it all the only ice cream in the house is ice-burnt vanilla! This is a fine start to my week...

mary said...

Well, the costumes are fabulous, Darlene - and I loved the way they caught the theatricality of it - and Jude Law is excellent ... it just depends how strong a stomach you've got for Keira Knightley. My pain threshold is low.

LizF said...

Oh dear that is what I was afraid of when I saw the preview trailers!
Will probably wait for the library to get it on DVD.
Vronsky does look a bit soppy - when I think of the character (which isn't that often admittedly) I think of Stuart Wilson who played the role in a TV adaptation more years ago than I care to remember!

mary said...

LIz, it really doesn't work if Vronsky isn't worth leaving home for, does it! I can't remember whether I saw the TV series. Probably did, I'm certainly old enough!