Tuesday 6 September 2011

How do dolls know when it is autumn? The same way that you do. They smell the London autumn smells of bonfires, of newly lit chimneys, of fog and leaves soaking in the wet. When they go out they see that Michaelmas daisies are out in the Park and chrysanthemums are in the flower shops and violets have come back on the street flower-sellers' trays.
From The Dolls' House, by Rumer Godden.

If only it really were about Michaelmas daisies and chrysanthemums (I haven't seen bunches of violets for years) but on my way home this afternoon the reality was torrential rain and streetlights coming on at 4pm.
I'd been to see this film which I'd missed when it first came out and which now counts as a classic. How can it be 40 years ago?

9 comments:

Darlene said...

Oh Mary, I've just finished my first Godden book and absolutely loved it! Something tells me she loved flowers and gardening.

mary said...

She certainly lived an exotic life, Darlene. You might like this:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/3670310/Rumer-Goddens-life-is-a-story-in-itself.html

I went to see that crochet exhibition this afternoon ... great fun but you will die when you see the prices.

Anonymous said...

For some unknown reason I have not read any of her books. I shall have to remedy that situation.

Darlene said...

Thanks, Mary...and I'll be sure to pack my smelling salts.

mary said...

I enjoyed The Greengage Summer, Toffeeapple, but I don't think I've read any others.

scrumptious days said...

I haven't seen Kes for years, is it as good as I remember? I also loved The Greengage Summer but have not read any others!
I put a photo of the French sugar packaging on my other blog, I thought you might like it! Jude x

mary said...

It was good, Jude. It's back in cinemas this week - they've restored it - so now's your chance.
And I love those sugar drums, what a clever idea. Much better than than messy bags in cupboards.

Nan said...

Really no violets for sale on the street? That's where my husband bought my bridal bouquet in 1977.

mary said...

I remember them in the 1970s, Nan, because I used to buy little bunches for my mum. And they were in buckets outside even the most ordinary flower shops, for pocket-money prices. But I haven't seen them for years.