Tuesday 8 June 2010


Princess Diana's black taffeta ballgown has been sold to a museum for £192,000.
Hours after she wore that dress in 1981, you could buy a copy in London department stores. So when I was invited to a ball at short notice, I jumped into a cab on my lunchbreak and headed for Oxford Street to buy one of my own. It cost about £80, which was cheaper than Lady Di's but quite a lot of money for me at the time.
And it's still hanging in my wardrobe.
I couldn't bring myself to throw it out. Was I ever as slim as that?
On the other hand, if you have £192,000 to spare ... I'm open to offers.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Seeing that photo really shocks me into wondering where the years have flown? They both look so young!

The gown is lovely, you must have felt beautiful in it!

mary said...

And we thought he was really old at the time, Darlene!
But I did love that dress, wish I could still fit into it!